All of our programs are customized to the individual and are composed of specialized therapy sessions using the therapy modalities below:
Equine Assisted Therapy
Also referred to as: Equine Therapy, Horse Therapy, Horse Psychotherapy, Equine Assisted Psychotherapy.
- Interacting with horses is a powerful way to see our attitudes and patterns reflected back to us.
- Horses have a completely natural response to our actions and energy.
- Horses help us build trust and healthy bonds.
- Interacting with horses is a fun way to be outdoors.
Also referred to as: Nature Therapy or Wilderness Therapy
- Nature has a calming and soothing affect that can help us see our patterns and let them go.
- Learning about and connecting to the natural world and natural cycles helps us see ourselves in a different way.
- Permaculture design and gardening provide useful, practical ways to engage with nature and the earth.
- Walking or hiking is a gentle form of exercise.
Dog Assisted Therapy - Companion Animals
- Bonding with and training a companion dog is a great way to form healthy attachments and trust.
- Animals help us experience unconditional love and an array of positive emotions.
- Caring for a dog helps build responsibly and grounding into day-to-day life.
- Artistic ability is not needed to enjoy and benefit from creative expression.
- Visual arts help use bypass the verbal mind and access deeper images and impressions.
- Art helps us express and see things about ourselves that are too hard or difficult to put into words.
- Viewing and making art stimulates positive changes in the brain.
- Developing our creativity is empowering and helps build self-confidence.
- Art helps to improve left-right brain connections.
body & mind
- Martial arts & self defense
- Health and Wellness is the full integration of physical, mental, and spiritual wellbeing.
- Finding support and trust in a group is helpful to get perspective and feel connected.
- Groups provide support and help motivate you.
- Working in a group builds social skills and helps people feel less isolated and alone.
- Learning about and helping other people through their challenges is rewarding and builds compassion and empathy.
- Yoga, Martial arts, Chi Gong
- Hands-on Gardening & Permaculture Design Classes
- Dance and drumming
- Cooking and healthy eating
Individual Psychiatric Care
(Psychiatric care is a only included in the Residential Program)
- A psychiatrist will help diagnose and develop treatments for mental health conditions.
- Psychiatric sessions help a patient understand themselves and give valuable information about dealing with mental health issues.
- Currently Rites of Passage uses Dr. Canchola via tele-medicine as acting psychotherapist. Dr. Canchola is a psychodynamic psychotherapist and an advanced nurse practitioner & psychopharmacologist who is dedicated to the delivery of personalized and highly effective mental health services.
- Individual sessions with trained therapists are important to focus in on specific areas and meet individual needs.
- Specific targeted programs for substance abuse, eating disorders, PTSD, Trauma, personality disorders and other mental health issues.
- Vocational development when needed.
WellAdditional Therapies and Therapeutic Activities
- EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique / Tapping
- Dream-work, ceremony
- Energy healing
- Hiking, walking
- Exercise or workouts
- Cooking & nutrition
- Wellness program